Sunday, May 17, 2009

There is so much adventure here in Cape Town – shark cage diving, skydiving, bungee jumping, hiking Table Mountain, and for the past few days, that has been all that I have been thinking about. When I have described my experience thus far to others, I have talked about all of the activities that await us, and how much I have enjoyed the nightlife, the food, the views, and the excitement of the city. This morning, however, I was reminded of our real reason for coming to this beautiful city. I woke up early in the morning to attend a nearby church for the 9 a.m. mass. The priest gave a beautiful service filled with humor and witty jokes. But his central message was that of 1 John 4: 1-7, which is that we should love one another as God has loved us. He spoke of service to others, and we prayed for those in the city that have been the survivors of segregation. For me, his words reminded me not of the poverty-stricken townships, but of the bright and hopeful faces of the children who live there. My adventure here in Cape Town is so much more the skydiving and climbing mountains, it is being blessed with the opportunity to help others and truly make a difference. After the wonderful service, my day got even more exciting when I returned to our apartments. Since I went to church alone, I was headed to eat breakfast in the hotel by myself, until I walked in to find Coach Vince Dooley also walking to breakfast! He went to go get his wife, Barbara Dooley, and we all sat down to a lovely breakfast in the hotel restaurant. There was a huge breakfast buffet, and we were able to eat it while sitting beside a huge window with a beautiful ocean view! Breakfast was wonderful, and Coach Dooley and Barbara were the nicest and most welcoming people. Eating breakfast with the Dooley’s in Cape Town is certainly a life moment and an experience I’ll never forget!

-Amanda Accarino

No comments:

Post a Comment