Saturday, May 23, 2009


Today was definitely an intriguing experience as we journeyed to Franschhoek for a vineyard tour and wine tasting. For someone that's never tasted wine or was fully aware of the proper wine tasting techniques, I learned a ton. We were told the in's and out's and the wine industry and devastated to learn that the grapes weren't juiced via foot stomping. =) Our guides also dispelled my myth that red wine comes from red grapes and white wine from white grapes. It takes about 5 years maximum to produce a bottle of wine, and at this particular location they have the added hassle of fighing off wild animals such as baboons and leopards. After our tour, we then embarked on the highlight of our trip for most, wine tasting. I took this opportunity to learn the 3 fundamental steps of wine tasting: swirl, smell, and taste! We were given two types of white wine and two types of red wine. The white wines were generally sweeter than the red but none of the four pleased my taste buds. Following the wine tasting we proceeded into the town for lunch. I met a man named Alfred, from Malawi, who was selling crafts and jewelry with his wife and son. He approached me with a warm, welcoming spirit and began to talk about some of the items that sparked my interest. He mentioned how he saw me as his long lost sister, and how he dreams of coming to the states and interacting with his extended family. Our discussion was so heart warming. We learn in school that African-Americans generally descended from Africa and to come to South Africa and hear somebody call me their "sister" is amazing! That interaction was more meaningful than my wine tasting experience. It reminded me that this trip is about more than being a tourist in a foreign country; it's about the moments. My moment-interacting with a total stranger and feeling as if I’m among family.

--Cori Pinkett

No comments:

Post a Comment