Thursday, June 3, 2010

“Always be Curious” by Preston Shurley


Curious George was always one of my favorite series growing up. George was fascinated by the world and all it had to offer. He went through life with an unending, and often mischievous, thirst for knowledge and understanding. I learned many things from that monkey, but most importantly, George instilled in me at a young age an incredible astonishment with the world. This curiosity has been my guide for my life, especially in my time here in Cape Town. It has driven me to do things I never thought I would (jump off bridges and out of planes, swim with sharks, and free climb on the cliffs of Cape Point), it has helped me give to the point of exhaustion (painting inside the pre-school, throwing the kids of the township in the air, and spinning them around and around until we all felt like we were walking home from a long night at Tiger Tiger), and it has given me the energy to try to do everything, even when only averaging about 4 hours of sleep per night.


Cape Town is such an astonishing city, and there is so much to experience here that you never cease to be amazed. The city is gorgeous, the culture is wonderful, and the excitement of the approaching World Cup is enough to inspire anyone with a youthful enthusiasm for life. It is because of this that I am always curious. As the program comes to a close, and the reality of the flight back to America becomes all too real, my curiosity has turned into a fire to see and do everything I can before I get back to “real life.” These are the times when I wish George was on this trip. He would be a great travel companion and provide more inspiration than necessary to attempt to accomplish everything we want to do. But the potential for George is in all of us. As long as we wake each morning with a youthful curiosity for life, we carry the spirit of George in us and will be inspired to reach the full potential of life.


Always be curious. Never cease to be astonished. Love wholly. And give fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment