Thursday, June 3, 2010

"It's the Friendships" by Kevin McDevitt


When I first arrived in South Africa, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Then, I was thrown into a van at 5:30 in the morning and sent across to the opposite end of the country to begin my MAF adventure. My first four days were filled of extraordinary events, including bungee jumping off the world’s highest bridge, going on a safari, riding elephants, and using all-terrain vehicles to travel through jungle trails. There was so much going on that I was physically exhausted, but in the process, I learned a lot about myself and the country in which I was residing.

Bungee jumping was the most intense thing I have ever done. I literally was scared to death, and somehow I ended up going second in a large group of thirty. Of course, there were a ton of girls so I had to act brave. As soon as I got to the ledge, I seriously thought about cancelling and turning around. Too late. Before I know it, I had literally been tossed over the side of a bridge and was hurling down towards the ground. There is no experience like it in the world, and I would do it again in a heart beat.

My favorite part of this trip has been the friendships I have made. I enjoy everyone I have met here and hope to continue these relationships upon returning home. This experience has definitely been positive and if I could do it again, I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment