Thursday, June 3, 2010

"Love That Hair" by Carlin Conner


Cape Town: Fighting Your Fears


So far in Cape Town I have constantly been presented with opportunities to fight my fears. During my adventure week I was submerged into a metal cage to swim with wild, hungry, great white sharks while teasing them with food, and I was shoved off of the highest commercial bungee point in the entire world to face not only my fear of heights, but to also battle motion sickness (that whiplash is intense!). Plus, when you have never really been acquainted with wild animals and a herd of elephants surrounds your van you get a little scared! But besides all of these incredible opportunities that I have had to conquer my fears, I was by far presented with thus far in the trip was today, when I was given the opportunity to go skydiving.


At first I was excited, looking at the plane that I would soon be jumping out of while simultaneously looking at pictures of the past skydivers that lined the walls left me more excited than scared. However, as soon as I piled into the tiny, rickety plane that would transport my 9000 feet into the sky, all feelings of self-assurance leapt right out the window. When sitting in a tiny place 9000 feet above solid ground, strapped to a complete stranger, the only feeling is fear. Well, fear and panic, but those feelings are pretty much intertwined. All I wanted to do was escape, but as soon as I was looking out of the window I knew that I would have to face my fear. Fortunately for me, if you have a fear of heights, facing your fear is one of the most enjoyable experiences in the world. Never in my life have I been so pleasantly surprised when conquering a fear, and I hope that I have the opportunity to do so again. Free falling through the sky while looking out at Table Mountain and Robben Island is an experience I will never be able to repeat, and I only hope that all of you reading this are able to one day have the same experience that I did. Plus, the effect of wind blown hair is just as elegant as you could have ever imagined.



No comments:

Post a Comment