Saturday, June 5, 2010

"Top 5" by Jeanna Courter


Cape Town has been one of the best experiences of my life. I never thought I would have the opportunity to do some of the things we have gotten to do and meet some of the people we have had the chance to meet. Since there is so much to tell, I decided to make a Top 5 of experiences of Cape Town so far:


Cooking Dinner for my Family- This past week we were given the opportunity to cook dinner for our families. My group decided that we were going to turn our dinner into a celebration of the time we have spent together. We bought balloons, masks and noise makers and had the family wait outside while we got the house ready. We then made them close their eyes and walked them into the house. The family immediately started crying and told us that they had never experienced a celebration like that before even for a birthday. It meant so much to me to be able to provide a surprise like that to them.


Cape Point, Boulders Beach, and Cape of Good Hope- Today we took a trip to three well known places in Cape Town. Our first stop was to Boulders Beach where we got to see African Penguins. The second stop of the day was at Cape of Good Hope. The views here were absolutely stunning, and there were rocks and boulders that we were able to climb. Our last stop of today was visiting Cape Point. Cape Point is the point where the Indian and Atlantic Ocean meet. We took about a 15 minute walk up to a lighthouse where we were able to see this point. The view from the top was one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen.


Wine Tour- Last weekend we took a trip to a vineyard about an hour outside of Cape Town. While there, we learned about the different grapes grown there, how to taste wine properly, and finally taste three different types of wine. We enjoyed the wine tour so much that tonight we are heading to Stellenbosch to have another wine tasting tomorrow. We are planning on heading to three different vineyards.


Bungee Jumping- Before coming to Cape Town, I had decided I would not be participating in bungee jumping. I am scared of heights, and also my mom begged me to not do it. After arriving at Bloukrans Bridge however, I decided I would regret this if I did not jump (not to mention everyone else was doing it to, so I could not really back out). Walking on the bridge to the bungee jumps was probably one of the scariest moments of my life. We all stood on the bridge and cheered each other on as one by one we jumped off. I am so glad I ended up jumping.


Sunset Champagne Cruise- The first Sunday after our adventure week, we went on a sunset champagne cruise where we got to see Cape Town from a water perspective. Since there had been two different groups throughout this trip, one who went on adventure week the first week and one that went the third week, it was a great time for us to get to know other people on the trip we had not met yet. We drank champagne and cruised around while enjoying the beautiful city of Cape Town for an hour and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment