Saturday, June 5, 2010

"We are One" by Rebecca Lindner


Ironically, after filling out evaluations in class today, a friend from home asked me what “grade” I would give this program. I told him an A, hands down. This isn’t a normal study abroad program at all. I know we always mock the “service is sexy” motto, but it’s true. Somehow Global LEAD has combined every aspect of why students go abroad into one program, but it’s not like it’s a boring combination of school, service, and touristy things.. this program makes every aspect equally as amazing. I’m walking away from one of the best programs I’ve ever heard of having made some awesome friends, met some really cool people, and lived in one of the most gorgeous countries I have ever been to. The coolest people I’ve met so far are definitely the people in the township. I’m embarrassed by how much they changed my outlook on life in general. Putting faces to poverty is one thing, but Global LEAD takes it one step further and actually gives a personality to the face. You get to know these people, how many students get to say that?

After our final show on Wednesday, as everyone was saying goodbye to their families, I got Miss Thelma’s address. I didn’t do it because there was an awkward moment and I was trying to fill the space. I actually intend on writing them. In fact, I already have a letter written out, ready to mail once I print a bunch of pictures to send back. I want to keep in touch with these people, continue the conversation with them as long as possible. I am not one who is the first to sign up for doing community service in the States, and never have been, but the relationship we formed during service here truly was that special.

No comments:

Post a Comment