Saturday, June 5, 2010

"Do it All" by Branden Bosler


As I look back on my last 4 weeks in Africa, I realize that this trip, without a doubt the greatest I’ve ever taken, has been a culmination of some of the most amazing and memorable times of my life. I did things I never imagined doing when I swam with great white sharks. I conquered fears I once thought unconquerable when I jumped off the world’s highest bungee bridge. I met people I had only ever read about in books when Ahmed Kathrada, Nelson Mandela’s cellmate and political confidant, gave us a tour of Robben Island. I interacted with animals only before ever seen on my television when I got to hold the trunk of an African elephant and then the next day go on a safari. I met and befriended people with whom I never thought I’d cross paths when I spent time in the township of Sir Lowry’s Pass. I slept in places I never imagined sleeping when I in turn, slept with my new friends in their homes. I experienced love from complete strangers in this same place. I drank more wine than I ever imagined drinking when I toured vineyard after vineyard in the towns of Franschoek and Stellenbosch. I ate food I never thought I’d eat when I ordered ostrich steak and then the next night ordered kudu. I climbed mountains I once thought impossible when we hiked Table Mountain. I saw sights that took my breath away when I watched the sun rise over the city from the top of Lion’s Head. I saw the most beautiful sunset of my life when that same sun that I watched rise, set over the Atlantic Ocean as I looked on from the shores of Clifton Beach. I was immersed in sporting events only ever seen on TV with World Cup mania. I rode in more taxis than I ever want to again as I zipped all over the city on a daily basis. I partied later than I’ve ever partied, dancing in the clubs of Long Street until 5am. And above all, I shared all of this with once complete strangers, who have since become incredible friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment