Thursday, June 3, 2010

"Learn, Grow, Love" by Meredith Irwin

15 things I've learned while in South Africa:


-Jumping out of planes and off bridges is completely worth it


-Elephant skin is really rough and great white sharks are incredibly big


-Paying a bill will most likely take 30-45 minutes


-Baboons will sabotage a car for food, even if there is a person in it


-When climbing a 3000 ft mountain you should not wear long sleeves


-Ostrich tastes way better than cow


-You can sleep when you're dead- or at least when you're not in South Africa


-Nelson Mandela is the epitome of sacrificing for what you believe in


-Happiness is not defined by a dollar amount


-The children at the townships are probably the most unconditionally loving people on this planet


-Change starts today and it starts with me


-Count your blessings daily and never forget to be thankful


-When you give you get so much more in return


-Always be open to new experiences- no matter how frightening they might seem


-Love is the best gift anyone can give


I had a friend tell me that I wasn't the same person I was three weeks ago and I couldn't agree more. This trip has been an incredible learning and growing experience. I think/hope I'm coming back from this adventure a better person. The friendships I've made with the children in the townships and those I've made in our group will last forever in my heart. I am so blessed that I've had the opportunity to be apart of such an amazing program.



No comments:

Post a Comment